About us

In 1902 the Beckmann auditorium was assigned to Prof. Dr. Ernst Otto Beckmann (1853 - 1923), who was appointed to Leipzig. 100 years later, in 2002, the reconstruction was completed. The historical wall and ceiling wood paneling harmonizes with the natural materials of the chair and floor elements. Through modern presentation technology an optimum teaching and learning is made possible.

In the laboratories once the pioneering work of Beckmann were carried out in the physical and synthetic organic chemistry. From 1875 to 1878 he studied pharmacy and chemistry in Leipzig and afterwards he passed the doctorate. In 1897, after several scientific stations he received the chair of Applied Chemistry at the University of Leipzig. His work has been honored by the German Chemical Society with a commemorative plaque in the year of 2009.

The practical courses of qualitative and quantitative inorganic chemistey as well as synthetic and analytical pharmaceutical chemistry will be carried out in the three laboratories. In addition to it's generous proportions, especially the large collection of medicinal materials and pollutants is worth mentioning.

last modified: 18.01.2017